Thursday, September 18, 2014

Another Day

The weather is beautiful, we open the windows in the morning, have a great breakfast and dig in to our work.

Right now, we have altered the schedule again. My son is doing a lot but I am not doing any testing yet, I want to move carefully and take things with enough time to actually learn them rather than just pushing forward and cramming for tests.

In math we have backtracked to reviews.
In English we are doing a lot of poetry at this time.
In computer, we have continued on with css, java and programming.
In Spanish, we have called it Foreign language and have now switched to Latin, and French as well as Spanish.
We are still reading White Fang and The Cat of Bubastes.
For History we are continuing with ancient History and learning a lot of things about Egypt and slowly are relating it to the timeline of things that happened in the Bible.
In Science we are learning about cells and skin.
For Music we have listened to a lot of nature sounds mostly and have not dug in to working on actual instrument playing yet.

I like the variety we are doing with different styles of learning. Some things are online, some are books, some are audio, some are on Kindle and we do a lot of oral reports, question answering, etc. but there is still quite a bit of writing as well. My son has been working a lot on handwriting because in my opinion , he is pretty sloppy so when I do have him write the small amount of things that I do, then it MUST be done properly and correct or he has to re-do it.

He is still doing keyboarding, doing a bit of crocheting, and we are going to start a tiny bit on cooking small items as well.

I asked him his favorite things to do: He said... "Bible, History, Art."  I think honestly he said Bible first is because in that time we have a 30 minute audio of Odyssey Adventure Club that he enjoys listening to as well as his Bible work so I know he loves those adventures. He is very interested in the Egyptian things we are going over so right now I understand why he loves History. He has always loved art and any kind of thing dealing with art so I get that answer too. :)

I was surprised though because I suspected he would say Computer or maybe LUNCH. haha.

I see a lot of people around town on Wed. nights at a dinner we usually attend here and I am noticing a lot of people come up to me and ask about Homeschooling and how it is going. I don't really know what to say. I *think* it is going well but since I have not really done this for a long time and have not done a lot of testing, I do not know how he compares to anyone else in public school right now. However, last night, another sixth grader that he would have been in class with, asked my son what he was doing in school and that kid looked at my son and said "I honestly don't have a clue on what you just said."  He had told the boy that he was learning set theory, mathematical sequences and mathematical sets.

I hope I am challenging him enough but not being too over pushy. I have a ton of books I would love to be able for him to lay hands on and absorb , I have so many ideas, so many plans but only so much time during the day and to stay on a subject until it is really learned takes time and I do not want to rush things so it seems so overwhelming at times and I really don't know what he would be doing in public school if he was in there so I don't know if I am behind or what? So basically, I take a deep breath, look out the window at the beautiful day and the wind blowing in and let it flow and know that we both are doing the best we can.


No comments:

Post a Comment